Please, note that Swiss cantons have their own tax legislation, therefore some of the tax laws may differ. However, here is a few pointers.
- Crypto capital gains are tax-exempt: if you are a private investor, you'll pay no Capital Gains Tax on your crypto.
- Federal Income Tax allowance: Every taxpayer gets a Federal Income Tax allowance that is tax-free.
- Wealth Tax allowance: Every taxpayer gets an individual Wealth Tax allowance that's tax-free. So provided your total assets are under a certain value, you'll pay no Wealth Tax on them. Cantons set a specific allowance that is tax-free.
Crypto Transactions that are tax-free in Switzerland
- Buying crypto with fiat currency - like CHF.
- Selling, trading, and spending crypto - provided you're a private investor.
- Holding crypto - excluding the Wealth Tax on total assets.
- Transferring crypto between your own wallets
Disclaimer: This is not a legal, tax, accounting or investment advice. It is general information which should only be used for introduction purposes. You should consult with a tax/legal specialist.